FB: Verify Machine Performance
Troubleshooting :: Frozen Beverage :: Machine Performance
During periods of peak production, high ambient temperatures, or busy seasons, it may sometimes seem like your frozen beverage machine is not keeping up. Often, this is a result of many different things impacting the machine’s ability to perform at it’s peak rather than an issue with the machine itself. The below guide walks through the appropriate steps to take to verify the machine functionality, confirm or identify environmental impacts, and verify the machine is producing the correct amount of product per its specification.
Next, to verify machine performance, it is important to start with a clean machine in an optimal environment. Follow the Operator Manual for your machine to fully drain, rinse, disassemble, and clean all of the parts on your machine. Don’t forget the drive shaft!
Important: Verify all of the tips and recommendations in the Frozen Beverage Best Practices article are being followed, especially for machine clearance and replacing the tune up kit and scraper blades. These parts are very important to machine performance.
It is also important to verify that items like your condensing coil are clean and free of debris, and that the machine has adequate clearance on all sides, especially during warmer summer months. A dusty condenser and inadequate ventilation will reduce the capacity of the machine exponentially, if you have not done so, you should schedule a routine maintenance with your local HVAC technician to clean the condensing coil on your machine..
Take pictures of the machine clearance, the cleanliness of the inside of the machine, and note the last time the wearable parts were replaced when contacting Technical Service.
- Before reassembling, perform a FB: Troubleshooting Controls check to verify that all of the machine components and mechanical levers are functioning. Take pictures and/or video (preferred) at each step, pictures and videos are very helpful for diagnosing potential problems.
- With the machine still disassembled, perform a Frozen Beverage: Troubleshooting Frost Check to verify the refrigeration system is functioning correctly. You may skip this step if you noted your cylinders frosting during the troubleshooting controls check above. Take pictures and/or video (preferred) at each step, pictures and videos are very helpful for diagnosing potential problems.
With the machine functionality verified, it’s time to test the machine performance. To do this, please first refer to the size guide and locate the maximum serving capacity for your model.
For example, a SM-6455 will produce 2x 8oz servings per minute per freezing cylinder. In this example, one 8oz serving can be served every 30 seconds (2 times per minute) from each side of the machine.
Note: This size guide and rating is performed at 80 degrees ambient temperature. If your ambient temperature is above 90 degrees, the output capacity of your machine will reduce exponentially as the temperature increases.
- Locate a cup that is the size of the desired serving. If you have a measuring cup, this would be ideal. Getting the volume correct is important to measuring the machine capacity. For reference, a can of soda is 12 oz, so an 8 oz serving will fill approximately 2/3 of can of soda.
- Use a stopwatch and dispense one serving at every interval determined in step 4. Take pictures of the product you are dispensing, and video of the test if possible. If your machine has multiple flavors, perform this test one side at a time. The product should remain relatively consistent throughout this test.
- If your machine passed the functionality check, frost check, and dispensing performance check, then the machine is operating correctly. If you are having issues with freeze ups, product inconsistency, or other issues, please refer to the Frozen Beverage Best Practices article, to ensure all steps are being followed correctly. Most importantly, ensure you are not drawing too much product too fast, serving too large of servings for the machine capacity, and that you reduce the ambient temperature around the machine as much as possible to achieve peak performance.
If your machine failed any step of the functionality check, frost check, or dispensing performance check, please contact Technical Support for further guidance.
Note: You will be required to send in pictures and information gathered from the tests to receive help troubleshooting. Spaceman Technical Support can provide you with a link to upload this information if required.
- Minimum required information and pictures to help further troubleshoot:
- Last time machine was cleaned and wearable parts (Tune Up Kit and Scraper Blades) replaced
- Last time machine was cleaned internally by a service technician (cleaned condensers, etc.)
- Photos showing machine having adequate clearance on all sides
- Product type being served and photos of the serving sizes and number of servings being made
- Photos and videos of the tests performed showing the issues.
SS: Verify Machine Performance
Troubleshooting :: Soft Serve :: Machine Performance Introduction During periods of peak production, high ambient temperatures, or busy seasons, it may sometimes seem like your soft serve machine is not keeping up. Often, this is a result of many ...
FB: Troubleshooting Frost Check
Troubleshooting :: Frozen Beverage :: Frost Check Introduction As a diagnostic check, Spaceman may recommend performing a Frost Check to determine the functionality of the refrigeration system. This test should ONLY be performed for diagnostic ...
SS: Functionality Check
Troubleshooting :: Soft Serve :: Functionality Check Introduction Often times, when troubleshooting issues with the machines, performing a detailed functionality check is a good way to rule out, or pin point, what issues may be occurring with the ...
SS: Troubleshooting Frost Check
Troubleshooting :: Soft Serve :: Frost Check Introduction As a diagnostic check, Spaceman may recommend performing a Frost Check to determine the functionality of the refrigeration system. This test should ONLY be performed for diagnostic purposes ...
FB: Troubleshooting Machine Not Cooling
Troubleshooting :: Frozen Beverage :: Not Cooling Introduction If your Spaceman USA machine is not cooling, there are often some very simple reasons that can be quickly checked to resolve the issue. Please follow and verify the steps below to ...